Friday, March 12, 2010

Of Nightingales That Weep post 4

Director's Questions

Q: What would you have done if you were in Takiko's place when Hideo comes to see her in the garden?

A: Laura-I would let him leave

Erik-I'd call the guards

Kat-I'd let him go to to a certain point and then call the guards. (Just like wht Takiko does)



Q: Do you think that Takiko's decision to not go home with Goro was a good one?

A: L-I think she should have gone; what if her mother died, what would she do without her?

K-It was pretty mean, and bit selfish, but I understand her decision



Q: Why do you think that Takiko fell in love with Hideo?

A: L-I think Takiko fell in love because Hideo isn't really a bad person, because he didn't kill her dad, his clan did.

K-I think Takiko fell in love because Hideo has a way with words, and a sweet voice, which makes Takiko fell safe.

E-Because he's nice and handsome.



Summary by Kat

Takiko, the emperor, and the other court women witness a battle while on the ship towads their new home, on Yashima. Takiko becomes frightened at the idea that Hideo might be one of the dead soldiers. Once on the island, the young emperor becomes ill and Takiko plays the koto every night for him, which makes him feel better. The chief of the group take likes her, though Takiko doesn't; she is even disgusted of him. That night, Takiko sees Hideo in the garden, but lets him go before calling the guard. She doesn't see him afterwards for a long time, until she goes to pray and sees him again. Hideo starts leaing her notes in her koto after that until Goro comes to get Takiko o go back home. Takiko's mother is pregnant and wants her back home, but Takiko stays on the island to be with the emperor and Hideo.

Connections to History by Kat
In the book, Takiko plays the koto and is quite good at it. The koto first came to Japan during the 7th and 8th century from China. The koto was quite popular all over Asia. The koto is now the national instrument and has 13 strings. The following link shows some Japanese students playing it.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0-QraivKCI&feature=related

No comments:

Post a Comment